Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Adventures At The Gun Show

Gun Shows
I have been working the Gun Show for 5 years now promoting my CHL classes.  As I was sitting behind my table last weekend “people watching” the thought crossed my how much the show is the same in terms of vendors and product, but how much the show has changed in who is attending…. Women!
It is typical to see the a few chicks following the dudes up and down the aisles with him shopping with a childlike glimmer in his eye, with her reward being some beef jerky, sugared pecans and maybe a piece of jewelry or a candle.  I have met my fair share of husbands and fathers that dragged the women in their life to my table so I could talk to them about classes and convince them that having a gun is not a bad thing. 
My favorite bait and switch moment was during the last election when the Sarah Palin shirts were really hot.  There was a vendor next to be that happen to be selling just such a t-shirt.  The husband who I had visited with several times during past gun shows got his wife to attend with him that day and got her next to my table by showing her this shirt.  It was my moment to take every objection she had and turn it into a reason why she needed to give me and my classes a chance.  She agreed to come to my CHL class the next weekend, and by the time we were finished with that 10 hours, she was already signed up for my next 8 hour new shooter course, and brought another family with her.  She is my one of my favorite clients and is now my friend.  It doesn’t really matter what her objections were, it was that I was able to connect with her woman to woman and explain the truths about what she was afraid of.
Getting back on topic here… I have noticed the numbers jump in women attending the show and who are actively shopping for a guns, concealed carry purses and best of all TRAINING!  There is a different feeling at the show, and I praise the women for it!  If you haven’t been to a gun show, I recommend the experience at least one time; it will open your eyes to the several options that are available to you for recreational and self defense firearms.

No comments:

Post a Comment