Friday, March 9, 2012

Thoughts That Cross My Mind On Road Trips,,,

Thursday March 8th I was on my  to League City for Girl’s Night Out with my Houston Chapter of A Girl and A Gun Women’s Shooting League.  I was flipping thru the radio and I landed a conservative talk radio and heard some more back and forth on the “pay for my birth control” issue.  When I lost that station, I found a country station.  The next song up was “God Bess the USA” (aka Proud to be an American) by Len Greenwood.  I started to sing along, mind drifting to around the music, when the lyrics hit. 

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

The hamster in my brain took off on a marathon.  My interpretation of starting over in today’s terms would be if we had economic or social collapse and we need to figure out how to survive (Little House on the Prairie time).  And the statement about being free, well are we really free anymore?   There is so much government telling us what to do and trying to control other aspects of our freedoms given to us by our constitution.   I choose not to debate in major political conversations… anymore… but I do voice what is important to me, and what I think it means to be free.  The wonderful and sometimes backstabbing reality of being free is that everyone gets to be right in their opinions and have their say. 

My point here is how interesting it was to me that a song that was released in the early 80’s stood for something relevant at the time, and now, for me, the words mean something VERY different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment