Thursday, March 29, 2012

I invested a lot of time in myself in 2011 taking classes from several instructors, most of them National Champions in the competitive shooting sports of IDPA and USPSA.   I learned how to be a better competitor for sure, but I what I learned over the past 7 years participating in competitive shooting sports is how to be in control of my gun under stress, which has helped me, leaps and bounds to understand my self-defense preparation and mindset.



There are arguments that participating in competitive shooting sports does not prepare someone for a life or death situation, but I can attest that I have working muscle memory to know if I am shooting the gun accurately or not.  I also am aware how slow or quick my reaction times are, and I have a strong sense of confidence and trust that I know what I am doing with my gun, which we know is a very important component when choosing self-defense tools.  




I encourage my clients and friends all the time to seek out training.  If you are going to keep a gun at home or carry a gun on your body, wear a knife, or depend on your hand to hand skills to help you out in a crisis situation where you are the target of a crime, you have to get training and you have to practice.  For the average citizen, the competitive shooting sports offers up a safe and affordable place to practice holster work, figure out your gear and learn how to work through malfunctions and get back in the fight.   But most important... it is just a whole lot of fun! 

1 comment:

  1. Its always fun to go for shooting, I always encourage my friends to join me and use variety of different kinds of Guns so that you could enjoy the scenario.

    ReplyDelete