Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Media Range Day part one

What a day! So much to do and see at the SHOT Show Media Range Day, and we did just about all of it. I went to Range Day with the idea of trying out handguns that would be better suited for everyday concealed carry and then add in some fun shooting with the rifles and shot guns. Mission Complete!

My first stop was of course the Glock Tent.  I got a picture with Gunny, and meet some of women behind the scenes face to face.  It is neat to know a name and then find yourself face to face with a gal and have that moment of joy meeting each other.  I shot the Gen 4 .357 compact and that was so awesome!

I found a .40 that I LOVE. Now if you know me at all, you know I am not a fan of .40 and usually have a very sour face whenever a gal says her husband bought her one, even more shocked when a gal says she likes to shoot it.  The HK P30 has changed my sour face to a happy face. The grip can be adjusted in the back strap and side panels for a true custom fit AND has a double recoil system with a nylon bushing which absorbs all that “sting” that usually comes with shooting a .40 cal. Very excited about this gun.
I also got to try a Desert Eagle chamber in 44 Magnum.... um my mechanics were good... gun was just way too big.  The picture is kind of scary looking, I swear I was hanging on the best I could.   
Narrowing down the rest of my fav handguns will be a challenge, but here we go!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> 
Perfect Practice Pistol!

Very impressed with the Ruger SR22. This little pistol is a total package.
  • Accurate- John hit steel at 100yrds
  • Reliable- Ruger Rep said they tested 30 different types of ammo and said it ran flawless
  • Ergonomics- grips change out and mimics a standard handgun with the safety, de-cocker and mag release.

I really liked the Sig P250 .380ACP which will become available around April with an MSRP around $500.00.  This gun felt good in my hands.  The most impressive for me was how smooth it was and I hit the steel 5 out of 5 at 10 yards shooting at a quick rhythm, was able to get my second site picture very fast and the DAO trigger pull was pleasant.

 


The new XDs was a true highlight of the day.  This little guy chambered in .45ACP is a single stack.  It was nice and compact, perfect for us gals to carry a larger caliber and not haul around a heavy gun.  “Noticeably Unnoticeable” is their trademarked description, I would agree 100%.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <>
2 Dot Sight System
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <>
Quick Acquistion Sight System


And rounding out my favs for the day is a new product that will make its American debut hopefully in just a few months, Caracal from the United Arab Emirates.  When I stepped up to table I wasn’t sure I was going to be very impressed, but I am very excited about this line of firearms.  The sites are very different, but really cool for picking up a quick site picture.  I hit my 5 for 5 and enjoyed both guns that I shot.  There are no aftermarket parts or upgrades available right now, so it will come as is, but that is ok.  I had a nice chat with the owners and the Chef of Staff & Advisor to the Commercial Counselor UAE Trade, and I was shocked to learn that there is a huge female population that shoot and compete in the UAE!  AG & AG just might be on the itinerary for their next visit to the USA as they were very excited about what are doing and want to contribute to our program. 

 It was fun to meet so many new people and see my friends. Thank you to all the vendors that worked so hard to put on a wonderful event, and took such great care to answer in detail the same questions over and over again all day. I am already thinking how I want to re-work my presentation on gun and caliber selection, and need to figure out how to save up some mad cash to buy a few of the guns we demoed today. 
The fun n’ gun side of the day came with a few different 308s, a bunch of ARs and shotguns, which I will part two of my Media Range Day experience.

2 comments:

  1. I just found out about AG & AG, I live near San Marcos and will be joining that new chapter. I will be attending the Shot Show this week and hope to meet up with you.

    Looking forward to hearing your presentation and suggestions on these different models. Used to shoot in leagues years ago, but back in the "dark ages" we mainly shot revolvers :-) Time to make a change and buy some new toys!

    Terry Lively

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THAT'S what that look on your face is when I pull out my .40 cal!! ;). Glad you're having such a great time out there and thank you for letting us live vicariously through you!!! Welcome Terry!

    ReplyDelete