Thursday, January 19, 2012

Act of Valor, Advanced Movie Screening

Act of Valor - release date February 24, 2012


I started day 2 of SHOT show in the press room having breakfast and networking.  A PR rep from 511 was making the rounds inviting media to the press conference for a new movie, Act of Valor.  I had heard about the movie and thought it was just another “ninja squad” Hollywood flick, but she was waving around this really cool T-shirt given away as a freebie if you attended the press conference.  Honestly I went for the shirt (it is a really cool shirt).  Within the first 30 seconds I was having a conversion of heart and became hooked on hearing every word the Bandito Brothers had to say. 


Bandito Brothers, directors of Act of Valor were clear from the moment they started talking that they feel Hollywood has misrepresented the military and law enforcement, making movies that are “Sexy Bang Bang”.  As we watched the production trailer the room was silent with amazement at the effort, time  and research that has gone into the production of this movie.   There are no stars playing main characters, but real life Seal Teams, their families and a handful of professional actors that blend in seamlessly.  The film was in production for four years and worked around the schedules of the Seals and their support teams.  The most amazing part is that they would sometimes film in-between assignments and literally surface in a submarine for a perfectly planned scene, have 40 mins to shoot and then be gone again.  I was also impressed to know that the Seals came with all their own gear and choreographed most of the film.

Because we attended the press conference we were giving passes for an advanced screening and spent the evening at the Palms Hotel with 350 others.  Among the invited guests were military veterans, industry professionals, media and a few other really lucky people who snagged a ticket.  Knowing the back story of how the film was made, and that the people were real was a huge advantage for us.  Face it they are Seals not actors.  But they did a great job being themselves and not coming off fake or trying too hard.  The cinematography was absolutely amazing, not one questionable moment that anything was Hollywood smoke and mirrors.   I don’t want to give away any elements of the story line, but knowing that five actual operations were referenced then tied all together in one fictitious plot made a connection with the audience and kept us all spellbound for the entire film.
The theater that was still for 2 plus hours, roared with applause and praise for several minutes.  We were asked our opinions on the way out and all I could say was “breath taking”.  Because I am an emotional kind of girl the film did move me to tears.  It also made me mad.  Mad that our military men and women have to make these sacrifices.  Mad that there are evil people and corrupt governments.  And mad that so many Americans are not doing more to take care of themselves but always relying on the sheepdog to protect the herd.  It is safe to say I am little fired up about this movie.  It is my goal to spread the word about this film and the truth behind it, everyone should see it…. Especially those who play war on their video games and shooting sports.  Don’t get me wrong, I like to put on my 511 pants, gun up and go put rounds down range as if I am a real life “tactica-cool” gal.  It is just really important that our future generation truly understands what war is, and it can’t be found on Xbox.  Take your teens to see this movie.  It just might change their life.  I feel pretty strongly that it will stir something in your soul to be a better person and live a better life. 

3 comments:

  1. Whats Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me. Good job.
    T-Rex Grilles 25555 Polished Billet Aluminum Bumper Grille Insert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took Miranda and both boys to see the movie tonight. As a navy SeaBee, I worked closely with Seals and SWCC on multiple occasions, and found this movie to be very real and not 'dolled up'. Miranda cried, the boys liked the blood and explosions, and I revisited memories I sometimes try to forget. God Bless active duty service members and Veterans- and their famileis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried too, and my husband John felt the same as you Matt.

    ReplyDelete