Monday, January 28, 2013

2013 Media Day at the Range (SHOT Show)

My 2nd year attending SHOT Show was completely different from my last year (my eyes were glazed over with new and exciting products and opportunities).  This year was full of meaningful networking and dinner meetings, one social event, several interviews, plus walking the floor visiting vendors I want to do business with and the realization that I was still missing a lot and need a better plan next year.  

Media Range was very different this year.  I was among the invited Media and was able to attend with a select group for the morning session allowing us more time to visit with Vendors, get our questions answered and pictures taken.   Yes I got my picture with Gunny and had a great interview with him, I did get to test drive a few new guns coming this spring and see some really neat stuff.  BUT it was so cold that day, the misery factor was extremely high, and I didn't shoot every gun like last year.  




I am smitten with the Rhino 200D mdae by Chiappa.  This Defense revolver is easy to conceal because it offers a thinner profile. The flat cylinder grants maximum comfort. and the barrel is aligned with the bottom most chamber which is the key component to Rhino's low recoil.   "The position of the barrel lowers the center of gravity and yields a centerline of the bore more in line with the shooter's arm allowing for the most natural "point ability" while engaging a target. This characteristic also drastically reduces both recoil and muzzle flipwhich insures subsequent shots to be on target faster than ever before. The reduction of the recoil allows for the use of ultra light alloys to be used in the construction of the Rhino minimizing any adverse effect. The flat sided cylinder design of the Rhino reduces the typical revolver profile allowing greater concealment. Featuring both double and single action characteristics, the single action is actuated by a hammer cocking device that engages the unexposed hammer to prepare to fire." quoted from their website.

Warning: the low position of the barrel requires a specific grip style, please view instructions in the manual section.  Ask me how I know? Mr. Chiappa and I were so busy in conversation that when I picked up the gun to shoot, he didn't see my grip and the first shot my thumb felt the blast.  It stung really bad and I instantly new I had gripped that gun wrong.  

My next carry gun will be the Springfield XDS 9mm.  I know, I know I am the Glock Girl.  All true and I LOVE my Glocks, but this baby will fit perfect in a Flashbang or in a pelvis holster while still fitting my body size and shape.  There was no recoil as compared the same version in .45 ACP, and I am girl who shoots guns with no safeties because my muscle memory is trained that way.  It meets all my requirements when I am shopping for a gun:
Grip, Size & Weight, Able to Conceal, Price.






Having a light or laser on your self defense gun is always a topic of discussion.  I personally don't use lasers on my guns, but I do LOVE the Viridian Green Dot product line, and if I did ever use a laser it would be this one.  I also like the lights they have that are small and compact, nice for a carry gun.  New this year they have developed a holster line that works specifically with their laser/lights and turns the laser on when you draw from the holster. Here is a link for the light I am diggin! http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/viridian-ctl-tactical-light

The HIGH LIGHT of the day was meeting Kim Rhode 5 Time Olympic Champion in Shotgun Sports.  She is the most down to earth gal, so sweet and really genuine as she gave us tips on shooting and demonstrating the awesome TrAAcker shells that Winchester has introduced.  When working with new shooters having instant feedback makes a huge difference in their progress.  For pistol shooters it is hearing the "pa-ting" of hitting the steel... for Shotgunner it is seeing the clay break apart.  But when the clay doesn't break apart and you have no idea how far you missed it, it can be very frustrating.  The TraAAcker aides the student to see their "miss" and make corrections.  Really cool!  

No comments:

Post a Comment